Saturday, April 4, 2009

Magnificent Obsession

On Thursday night I went with Kristin Bond and Joe Raymond to see Steven Curtis Chapman and Michael W Smith in concert. I grew up listening to the music of both these artists and it was really fun when they pulled out a couple songs from when I was a kid. Geoff Moore even made a guest appearance. The whole concert was really awesome, but there is no question that Steven is my all time favorite. There is no way that I could ever pick one favorite Steven song, there are just so many that I love. One of my very favorites is "Magnificent Obsession". I just love the way he voices his desire for Jesus:

You are everything I want
You are everything I need
I want this to be my one consuming passion
Everything my heart desires
Lord, I want it all to be for You, Jesus
Be my magnificent obsession

Considering that Steven has hundreds of songs to chose from when deciding what to play in one short concert, I was so happy when he played this one on Thursday. I was also convicted.

I tend to be obsessive by nature. But instead of letting Jesus be my one magnificent obsession, I have a horde of very un-magnificent obsessions, some that are downright foolish actually. I have decided that I am going to change that. I want to be able to sing along with Steven and really mean it. This doesn't mean that I can't still enjoy the things I like. It just means that I don't want to be consumed with them in an unhealthy way anymore, a way that distracts me from my obsession with Jesus that I am working on building into a beautiful all-consuming passion.

1 Comment:

Regina said...

These are great thoughts Christine! I get convicted by the lyrics that so comfortably roll of my tongue as well.

I'm glad you got to hear this song in concert. I know what it's like to hope someone plays *that* song. It's priceless when it happens. It's like you've been given a present just for you.

Keep on in your magnificent obsession!